Monday, February 09, 2009

Surfin with the Plagiarist

I just heard today about the controversy surrounding the band Coldplay and the guitarist Joe Satriani. A friend of mine posted a status update on Facebook congratulating Satriani on winning the Grammy for Song of the Year. Being a guitar child of the 80's, I was shocked and kind of elated at the prospect of Joe Satriani winning song of the year in 2009. However, it was explained to me that Satriani is suing Coldplay for plagiarizing their song "Viva la Vida" from Satriani's "If I Could Fly". I was linked to a really great, in-depth analysis of the two tunes done by guitarist Andrew Wasson, and I think Coldplay is in big trouble. If there is any justice, Satriani will win his lawsuit hands down. Here are the videos Andrew posted.



No comments: